Welcome to another Top Ten Tuesday. This series is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl and features a new topic each week, chosen by the host. This week’s topic is Top Ten Favorite Places to Read. What are your favorite places to get some reading time? Here are mine:
- Bed: This is one of my most common reading places. I’ve recently gotten back into the habit of getting a few chapters in before I turn in at night.
- Car: Honestly, I get a very huge chunk of my reading done during my commute. And no, I’m not one of those annoying drivers who puts a book on the steering wheel and threatens to kill people. I do a lot of audiobooks! If it weren’t for audio, I wouldn’t have near as much reading time as I do.
- My library (working): I spend a lot of time shelving legal books and pocket parts, which can be a pretty monotonous task, so I generally have an audiobook going while I work. It’s definitely a way to be personally productive while also being professionally productive.
- My back deck: I love to sit outside on nice days on the back deck with a good book. It’s been way too hot lately, but in the Spring I did a fair amount of this when I could, though my opportunities are very limited.
- Comfy chair: I do a fair amount of reading in my rocking chair in the living room or curled up on the couch. If I’m home and not in bed, that’s typically where I am.
- Coffee shop or cafe: If I’m out to lunch or just have some time to kill, I’ll generally take myself to a coffee shop for some reading time.
- Poolside: Let’s face it, this doesn’t really happen very often. If I’m at a pool, I’m with my kids in the water with them or constantly being disrupted by them calling for my attention. But, if the opportunity comes, I enjoy it.
- Park or other scenic spot: Another thing that I don’t do nearly enough. I enjoy going out to a park or a lakeside and finding a cozy spot, maybe with a blanket and reading in the quiet while soaking in the fresh air.
- At the gym: This is another audiobook spot. I have trouble exercising when I have nothing to do, so I often take that opportunity to tune into my audiobooks. I’ll bring an actual book sometimes, but it can be hard to focus depending on what I’m doing, so audio generally works best.
- While doing housework: I’ll often turn an audiobook on my phone while I’m moving about the house doing dishes, laundry, or other housework. It makes an enjoyable task somewhat enjoyable and gives me some reading progress as an added bonus.
There you have it! Those are my favorite reading spots. What about you? What’s your favorite place to curl up with a book? Feel free to share in the comments.
Comfy chair has to be my number one! Although library is really good too
I really wish I had the time to visit the public library and actually spend some time reading there. I mainly go there just to pick up books, but I do miss actually being there and soaking in the ambiance.
Reading outdoors is at the top of my list.
Now if only as Briana mentioned we could just turn off the bugs and the wind temporarily while we read, it would be absolutely perfect!
I miss coffee shops and cafes so much! A few have reopened in Toronto, but so many others have not. Some have closed for good, sadly. Others haven’t told us what they’re doing yet. I still hold out hope that many of them will make it through this pandemic and be busy again in no time. 🙂
My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-favourite-places-to-read-2
It is so sad to see so many small businesses not making it through! My town is mostly open despite the fact we are a major hotspot for Covid at the moment. And we’re only at around 40% vaccination rate, so it’s just running rampant. I do find myself still staying away from most public places for now until I feel more comfortable.
I always think I want to read outside until the wind starts blowing my pages and bugs fly in my eyes and the grass is itchy and . . . you get the point. :p
Ha! Yes, I do find that when I do, I certainly don’t do it very long. For the same reasons.
I can’t read in the car without getting sick, but I do love listening to audiobooks while I drive. I also listen while doing housework, which makes those monotonous tasks almost enjoyable!
I definitely agree on reading in the car when someone else is driving. Especially if I’m sitting in back. Ugh… so nauseous! Maybe we need to do a “worst places to read” theme. Lol
You got 10! That’s awesome. I love listening to audiobook memoirs when I’m doing housework! It’s so calming and goes fast.
Memoirs really are great audiobooks, as they are typically read by the author and it feels so personal to hear it straight from them. I really enjoy those as well!
Yes, it’s the only audiobooks I can do and it’s got to be for that reason!! Otherwise, I totally blank and space out. Fiction is a no-go!
A great list! I’ve been listening to so many audiobooks this year, my husband bought me a pair of Bluetooth headphones(I can’t do earbuds easily). It’s made a huge difference.
When you get the chance, I hope you stop by my post: https://readbakecreate.com/10-books-with-travel-locations-in-their-title/
Yes! I don’t know what I’d do without audio, honestly! Glad I’m not the only one 🙂
Yes to all of these! Bed and comfy places are awesome, but I love being able to listen to audiobooks while exercising or driving too. Great list!
Reading style twins! We’ll never be lonely with a good book wherever we go. 🙂
I love reading on my back deck with an iced coffee and pastry beside me.
Yum! Pastries and coffee sounds delightful, and what good companions for a good book!